Friday 29 July 2011

Tea and Crafting - literally

I fancied making an easy ruffled scarf like the one in this tutorial on All Free Sewing  but, as it is, technically, summer, I wanted to make it in  a lighter material.

I had some (actually, quite a lot of) leftover material from a pair of 'Wilma' curtains from Ikea, but, as I never wear white (it drains me) I had to do something about the colour.

And that is where the tea comes in.  I haven't used a chemical dye since primary school, and even then the process seemed to be 'above and beyond the call of duty' - so I put the kettle on...

I took an old pot from the back of the cupboard (one that I could stain with impunity) and filled it with enough boiling water to cover the piece of material.  I then added five teabags and allowed them to brew so as much tannin, as possible, would be released.  I then dampened the material, put a couple of random knots in it, and dunked it in the water.

I kept it in for about five minutes, before rinsing it and hanging it up to dry.

Twenty minutes of sewing, the next morning, et voila!


No comments:

Post a Comment