Monday 18 May 2015

My Mate...




I haven’t written anything about food for a while (and when I do it’s usually cake), so I thought I’d write a short post about my houmous experiment.

I was basically looking for a way to use ‘store cupboard staples’ (canned chickpeas, fresh garlic etc) to avoid having to buy tahini for this one purpose.

The first time, I used chickpeas, a couple of cloves of garlic, a sprinkling of dried chilli peppers and a tablespoon of olive oil. All the ingredients were thrown into the Nutribullet and pulsed for about 20 seconds (using the Extractor blade in one of the small cups).

It was okay (very garlicky!) but it seemed to be missing a ‘middle note’ in the flavour.

MARMITE!

For those of you who don’t know the product, Marmite is spreadable nutritional yeast, packed full of flavour and vitamin B12. As well as being a great spread for toast and sandwiches, it also makes an awesome substitute for stock cubes, when cooking.





I added a teaspoon of Marmite, mixed with a little bit of hot water to make it a bit more runny, to my basic recipe and, boy, did that work!


It’s homemade houmous all the way, now!








1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete